Saturday, May 8, 2010

Books of the Week – 5/8/10




Here are M’s favorites from the past week:

Edward and the Pirates, by David McPhail image This was recommended to us by Kim at Educating Crumpet.  She thought M would enjoy it and she was right!  It has enough adventure and excitement (like Edward’s mom riding into his room on a white horse – really can a book get any more interesting or exciting than that?) without being frightening at all.  Edward can read and the pirates can’t, and this has sparked some sort of small flame in M – he is “reading” a lot lately (meaning books he’s memorized… I’m one of those moms that doesn't want my child to be reading on his own at 3, not that there’s anything wrong with that if you do. ;) ).  It’s a fun book and one I’m glad we got!

The Moon Might Be Milk, by Lisa Shulmanimage This one was listed a week or two ago at Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.  We found it at the library and M wants to read it at least a couple of times a day.  I’m not sure what is so fascinating about this book (it’s cute, but nowhere near the top of my list), but he really loves it!  The little girl and her animal friends are trying to decide what the moon is made of… flour? milk? sugar? butter? egg?   Turns out, it’s made of all these things when her Grandmother uses these ingredients to make moon cookies.  It gets my mouth watering every time and I think we’ll be trying the recipe that’s included sometime soon!

I’m linking this up to Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns, and to Feed Me Books Friday.

Have a beautiful day! :)

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the idea of the pirate book - any book that inspires reading is going to be big on our list!

    Try the cookies, too - they're pretty yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We enjoyed The Moon Might Be Milk, I don't know if it was the story line or more the batch of cookies we made at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, so glad you enjoyed Edward and the Pirates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep seeing people mention The Moon Might Be Milk. I guess I should go ahead and check it out too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is funny sometimes the books children choose to fall in love with. Most of the time we agree but some of them I just don't see the appeal.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for joining WMCIR! Anna has been interested in pirates lately (probably picked it up from her boy friends in school) and I will look for this book in the library. I think the Moon book might appeal to the scientist in M - after all, every character in the story makes a hypothesis that is then partially confirmed by grandma :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment; I love reading them! If you ask a question and don't receive a personal reply, check back here for the answer. Often I reply via comment to something that might be of interest to others.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...