Sunday, May 2, 2010

Bird Craft #3 – Birdhouse Suncatcher

A few weeks ago M used some of his Art Box materials to paint and glue 5 craft sticks (popsicle sticks) into a house shape.  I wasn’t sure what to do with it, but when we started learning about birds, it came to me – it was a perfect birdhouse shape!

Here’s what he used to make the 1st part of his suncatcher:blog pictures 013
  • 5 Craft sticks, painted, and glued into a house shape
  • contact paper cut to fit the house
  • tissue paper torn into random pieces
  • glue
  • a green strip of paper (about 2 1/2 inches wide), with “grass” lines marked along the length of it, going about 3/4 of the way up
  • one circle cut from black paper
I took the backing off of the contact paper and M began sticking the tissue paper pieces onto it:April 2010 013
Next, he cut along the lines of the green paper to make grass (yes, I know birdhouses don’t normally sit in the grass, but it seemed like a nice touch.  And he got to practice those scissor skills.) :April 2010 017
We put a line of glue on the back of the craft sticks and glued the contact paper onto it, then glued the grass onto the front, and glued the black circle onto the middle to make the opening:April 2010 018
I trimmed the excess tissue paper off and we popped it onto the window:April 2010 020
Pretty, no?  But we thought  a little birdie might be nice too, so we got more contact paper and more tissue paper and made a little bird using M’s handprints.  I forgot to take a photo of the process, but here’s M showing you how to put your hands together to make a bird:April 2010 025
I traced his hands onto contact paper and cut the bird shape out for him.  After he covered it with tissue paper I added another piece of contact paper over the top and trimmed it up.April 2010 024
I drew a little birdie face on it:April 2010 028
And we glued it to the front of his birdhouse:April 2010 029
I love how it turned out – it’s really much prettier than the picture shows!

Have a beautiful day! :)

6 comments:

  1. Very cute idea!!! I am going to do this with my son this week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looks soo pretty in front of the window!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that's lovely! Looks really nice in the window. We have done a lot of random collages using stick back plastic but sun catchers are a great idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how this project turned out - very cheerful, and I also love how self-directed it was. M must have been very proud of his creation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. super fun project! So I need to get my hands on contact paper love all of the cool things you can do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! I bet he had a blast.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment; I love reading them! If you ask a question and don't receive a personal reply, check back here for the answer. Often I reply via comment to something that might be of interest to others.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...