I’m positive you know what I’m talking about here. Some days… well, dinner just isn’t going to happen. At least not dinner in any sort of healthy form.
Unexpected things happen, crisis occur, you’re sick, your child’s sick, etc., etc., etc.
I think we all have “go to” meals that are simple and quick and that we almost always have on hand. I’ve been thinking about ours lately and thought it might be fun to share them in a post.
Just so you know, these are quick meals that are not necessarily something you want to feed your family every day; the main thing about these meals is they are simple, simple, simple. And tasty too! I also try to keep a bag of prepared salad in our fridge so we can get in something green along with our quick meal. I’ve been using at least one of these every week lately.
1. We always have a couple of frozen pizzas in the freezer, this is staple in our house.
2. Chicken and rice wraps: Make a box of Uncle Ben’s Whole Grain and Wild Rice. When it’s done, mix it up in a bowl with canned chicken breast (yes, canned, it won’t kill you), ranch dressing and some chopped walnuts. Roll it up in flour tortillas, yum yum yum.
3. Maid Rights – My mother-in-law calls these sloppy joes, but to me a sloppy joe is tomato based. Brown a pound of hamburger meat with a splash of Worcestershire sauce. When it’s done, add in a can of Campbell’s Chicken Gumbo soup (no water added), a blob of ketchup and a blob of mustard (gross, right?). Mix it all up and serve it on buns or regular bread. Also very yummy.
4. Sloppy Joes, there are a lot of fast recipes out there for these. The one I have uses tomato soup as the base.
5. Pancakes, Bacon, and eggs. If you want really simple, use a package of pancake mix. We always have the ingredients for this on hand (maybe not the bacon), and scrambled eggs are super easy!
6. Chicken or Turkey A La King. Use leftover chicken or turkey (or canned, or poach a couple of breasts in water beforehand, then shred). Mix your shredded chicken or turkey with a can of mushroom soup, a little milk, some black pepper, and a dash of seasoned salt. Toast a bunch of bread. Serve the chicken / turkey mixture on top of the toast and eat with a fork.
7. This one we jokingly call a heart attack waiting to happen… velveeta cheese, canned chili, a can of Rotel (chopped tomatoes and chili peppers), a can of water, browned hamburger meat (if you have time), a little chopped onion, cayenne pepper… eat with corn chips and sour cream. This one is good for a really hard day. ;)
8. Premade pesto, egg noodles, and leftover chicken all mixed together.
9. Frozen fish sticks and french fries. :)
I would LOVE to add some more quick and easy meal ideas to our list. If you have any, please leave them in the comments below, or blog about them and leave the link!
Have a beautiful day! :)