Monday, October 4, 2010

The Art Box – Oct. 4, 2010

I try so hard to be organized every week… but inevitably something always gets overlooked!  This week it was the art box again.  I just can’t seem to remember that it’s time to change out the supplies (or let M change them out) and we end up just haphazardly grabbing extra paper and whatever he wants on the spur of the moment.  And art gets done, but there’s no neat and tidy art box.  And I like a neat and tidy art box – even if it’s just neat and tidy long enough for a picture to be taken.  One of the things I like most about these posts is seeing those supplies, all picked out and nicely arranged, just waiting for imagination to take hold and something to be created.  It helps me remember what we’ve done, what items M has especially enjoyed, and gives me ideas for what to give him in the future.  So.  Next week – maybe?

I do remember that he had access to markers, do-a-dot painters, and stencils this week.  And here’s what he created…

He tried the stencils with his dot painters and then with his markers.  I can really see the difference between the two “techniques”. ;)  I was also impressed that he was able to trace the outlines with the markers, which was something totally new for him.  stencils (2)  stencils

stencils (1)

 

His drawing has really taken off lately too.  He drew up a storm, but here are my three favorites:

drawings (1)I’m not sure what this is, but I love the happy smiley face!

drawingsA family, not ours, but one with two boys… which is what he wishes our family was.  (Me too!)

drawings (2)A rainbow, a sunshine, and a bird – so sweet!

 

He has created a “collage box” that he keeps near his “reading spot”.  Basically this is a box full of interesting magazines and catalogs and calendars, and general stuff.  He’s been creating collages non-stop with all the good things he’s finding in this box o’ things.  And with his new found love for masking tape, I’m being surprised with new collages popping up everywhere I turn.

collages (1) The front door.

collages (2)  A closet.

collages (4)  The hallway.

And more in the kitchen and bedrooms.  Sigh.  I don’t plan on keeping these beauties up, but so far I haven’t had the heart to take any of them down since he is just so darn proud of himself.  Yet, deep down I know my house is beginning to look a little… strange.  Like a 4 year old is running around on the loose with scissors and tape.

Lastly, Daddy’s birthday is coming up soon and M made him a little something:daddy's giftPretty special, wouldn’t you say? :)   

If you have a kid's art post, link it up below! Be sure to link back here somewhere in your post.

Have a beautiful day! :)

8 comments:

  1. My kids are big into collages and sculptures and the like, and have discovered they can hang things........ It's a problem, mainly because the glue isn't always dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the drawings so cute!! As far as the collages.. love that my house isn't the only "strange" one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the special daddy collage - he clearly worked hard on it. The drawings are pretty nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something about a collage that warms my heart. I want to dig into your son's art box and make my own after looking at that last one. They are so fun! My son is hot and cold on them - definitely doesn't love them as much as me yet, although I remember when we did a valentine's day themed collage in February he really liked it. So maybe I will cut out some big pumpkins out of orange posterboard and give him a lot of black, orange and purple stuff to collage on it. I seem to remember buttons were by far his favorite. He pretty much just wanted to glue down my entire button collection. Your son seems to have a fondness for googley eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. M always makes such great art. I have to make a new art box (it's been a while) and set it out to see if it kicks starts any crafting interest. Crumpet is totally against it right now, and our planned projects always lead to an argument... Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! I have a tough time with the actual art box because we have a whole art cabinet and both kids have full access to it. So I can't really limit them to a small art box. I'm going to try to just pull things together for them when they want to make an art project, and that will be my sort of "box." We'll see how that goes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, this has nothing to do with your post but I've been reading your blog in google reader and haven't been on your site in a while. I have to tell you that your header is gorgeous. Did you make it yourself?
    I DO like all his artwork. He is a very creative guy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jackie,

    Thank you so much for the compliment! I did make the header myself and am really happy with it. It's good to know others like it too - I so appreciate hearing that! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment; I love reading them! If you ask a question and don't receive a personal reply, check back here for the answer. Often I reply via comment to something that might be of interest to others.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...