Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Book Review – A Century Turns by William J. Bennett

image
This is, without a doubt, the best political history of recent times that I’ve read. 
A Century Turns is a detailed chronology of the past two decades, from 1998 and the election of George H. W. Bush up to the recent election of Barack Obama.  I have lived this historical time, yet never have I understood it as thoroughly as I do now, thanks to Bill Bennett.
Not only is this book about politics, it’s about popular culture and world events… and how all of it has influenced our nation and brought us to where we are today.  Bennett, a known conservative, does an admirable job of providing an objective point of view when discussing events.  His opinion, when shared, is stated as such, and differing opinions are explained and respected as well.  The narration of events is peppered with Bennett’s personal anecdotes (he was closely involved with the major players in many events), which makes the book highly enjoyable.
This would work well as a history textbook (if only my high school history texts had been as interesting and compelling as this one!); at the very least it can be used as an extremely detailed chronological timeline of this period. 
I’m recommending this book to everyone I know.  Bennett has fascinated me with the history of my own time, and I am very grateful. 
Thank you to Thomas Nelson Publishers for providing me with a free copy of this book to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment; I love reading them! If you ask a question and don't receive a personal reply, check back here for the answer. Often I reply via comment to something that might be of interest to others.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...