Hello there, friends. :) I am back from my fall off the edge of the earth.
I *just* remembered that I have a blog. And that I have a lot of unfinished projects pertaining to said blog. And that it’s always after I prematurely announce said projects (migrating printables to new site, opening Etsy store, upcoming blog posts, etc.) that life takes over and everything is left half done. Sigh.
Will I ever learn?!
I have not forgotten that I am pregnant, although I may be in denial about how much energy it takes to grow a baby and how having a body twice its normal size can considerably slow a person down. And I may have forgotten once or twice that I have a husband and son. Apparently pregnant me is not all that big on reality… preferring instead to escape into a good book or barring that, escape by being just grumpy enough to scare everyone away for a while.
I have been about as stellar of a wife and mother these past few months as I have been a blogger.
The first 4 to 5 months I was miserable and somewhat depressed – for a variety of reasons:
- Going cold turkey off of all caffeine
- Going off my tiny little sleep helper (and mild anti-depressant), also cold turkey
- Hence, not sleeping! (A big one for me, just look at my blog title.)
- All day “morning” sickness and fatigue
- Lack of activity because we weren’t sure how much I should be doing (I was on some sort of bedrest my entire pregnancy with M… and strict bedrest – no sitting up, lying on left side all day – the final 3 months)
- The messy house that resulted
- The lack of social interaction that resulted
- Beating myself up for not being totally joyful despite all the above circumstances – what kind of mama am I if I’m not happily sacrificing anything and everything for a new baby? (Now this is NOT at all what I would say to someone else in the same situation – sacrifice is sacrifice and not pleasant by definition – but this is what I said to myself… because I am crazy that way.)
I was given the okay to do more about a month ago (we are currently at 29 weeks), and things have brightened up since then. We did take a trip to Missouri to visit my family prior to that (in which I did nothing except sit on my mom’s couch and eat home-cooked food), and since being given the okay to do more I’ve felt better. But I can’t do all I want to – I get tired! I’m huge and I move much, much more slowly! I’m temperamental and emotional and you’d be surprised at how much time goes by during a good crying session, or how much time the endless apologizing takes up! My feet swell up in the middle of productive times and I have to go lie down and put them up instead of actually accomplishing something – curse those feet of mine!
But, I’m back on caffeine and that makes things a little better. No sugar, no salt, hardly any carbs (I’m borderline gestational diabetes, and have had some bouts of high blood pressure)… so you are not going to take my one cup of weak coffee away from me. No.
Maternity clothes have been the bane of this entire pregnancy. My tummy will tolerate no elastic. Frankly, it complains about anything other than ultra-soft woven cotton or knit fabric. So, dresses would be my friend, wouldn’t you think? Except they are so expensive!! And the ones from when I was pregnant with M fit my expansive middle okay, but there is no space, at all, for the girls, if you know what I mean. Or, as M says, pointing a wiggly finger in the general direction of my chest, “those round things that have gotten so big”. (Indeed they have, M, and thank you for noticing. But please stop trying to cop a feel every time you stand next to me in church.)
SO… I have been sewing up a storm, and neglecting everything else. Snipping tight-busted-dresses into halves and making them into soft-waistbanded skirts, altering other skirts so they have soft waistbands… sewing some things from scratch, and even drafting my own patterns. Whew. The energy that was going to go into creating baby things for my store (and my baby) has been re-directed into a desperate attempt to clothe my growing self.
I’ve learned a lot, and have been frustrated a lot, but I have a working wardrobe and that is what matters. A wonderful friend sent me a fancy dress and two extra skirts plus a couple of t-shirts, and I think I am set until the end of this here thing, unless we have cold weather because I have no pants that fit. But I’m not thinking about that.
Busy, busy, busy, I’ve even made two pairs of dress pants for M, which he decided to outgrow within 2 weeks, thankyouverymuch.
Wanna see some of what I’ve been up to? Of course you do!
- cotton dress, fully lined, made from a maternity pattern which had to be altered 10 times in order to not look like a tent. However, I LOVE how it turned out.
- quick dress I made from a t-shirt and cotton fabric – no pattern, just wrapped that fabric around my waist and gathered it to the t-shirt – love this one too!
- no pattern skirt made from soft, soft microfiber fabric with a knit waistband – sooooo comfy
- another comfy skirt made from a dress I cut in half, with another comfy waistband.
- skirt from my friend that I altered to have yet another knit waistband (can’t see it in the pic, but it’s a wonderful long, soft, slinky skirt.
- shirt from a pattern that I altered to have a gathered neckline – so cute and simple, and LONG enough to cover my tummy; why are maternity shirts never long enough??
- another long shirt made from the same pattern as the pink dress
- an attempt at capris – fully lined – from a pattern I drafted myself using measurements. They are far from perfect. Pants are a hard thing to get just right.
- shorts sewn from another pattern I drafted myself – love them. Flat-front waistband with elastic in back, I wear these every day. They really need to be washed.
- A little nightshirt for M from the softest knit cotton ever. Also drafted this pattern myself – with raglan sleeves, which were super easy.
- Current project – more shorts for myself
- Next project – maybe a dress, maybe another top
- brown dress pants for M
- black dress pants for M
And all of that within about 3 weeks. Are you impressed? :)
Hope you are having a wonderful spring/ beginning of summer!
Have a beautiful day!