Friday, January 22, 2010

Sunday School on Friday – Creation


We’ve been reading Bible stories every morning since a little before New Year’s Day. As you can imagine, we are way past the creation of the world by now. However, it’s always good to review and M really enjoyed *creation* activities.
God made all the animals and we sorted them. :) I used a green piece of paper for land animals, a blue piece with waves drawn on it for water animals, and a blue piece with clouds drawn on for animals in the sky. We took M’s Fisher Price Zoo animals and sorted them all onto the squares of paper.blog pictures 020 After they were all sorted we talked about how it was Adam’s job to name all the animals. We thought that was probably a pretty fun job. ;)
M was also interested in the fact that ostriches have wings but can’t fly. He liked that they are fast runners though! We also talked about the hump that camels’ have and how they store water in them. This led to a discussion of the desert and jungle for the land animals. M decided I should’ve made a desert paper and a jungle paper instead of just one paper for all the land animals. That way we could’ve sorted them a little better. What can I say? He’s right; I need to start running my ideas by him while I’m still in the planning stages, hee hee. This idea was from here.
Then we made a fun sticker collage with foam stickers. First I traced M’s hand on green paper, we cut the hands out and glued them to blue paper to make grass. We added a little pond at the bottom. We added cotton balls for clouds in the sky. M put the sun in the sky and drew a little face on it all by himself. :) He thought it looked a little silly, but I think it looks great. ;) Then we got busy with the other stickers. We made flowers and added animals in the grass, fish in the pond, even a couple of birds in the sky! There’s even Adam and Eve, and if you look closely you’ll even see an apple tree with a cat in it (sorry, no snake!). :) blog pictures 041 M was so proud of his creation and he showed this to Daddy as soon as he came home. He said, “It’s the world that God made!!” So sweet!
And we read this lovely little book:image
Our Nest, by Reeve Lindbergh. I am in love with this sweet book. It’s a perfect bedtime story, making everyone feel safe and secure, as it talks about all the “nests” we have – our homes, our towns, our world, our universe… all of creation is our “nest”, a place to be cared for and loved. The book mentions creation, but does not mention God. However, I do feel that God’s loving hand is implied in the wording. It’s a beautifully illustrated book and a wonderful way to talk about God’s creation with a child!
Have a beautiful day! :)

7 comments:

  1. Ha! I love the collage he made. I bet that weighed a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sticker collage is so cute and colorful - he did a great job on it. The book looks very interesting too - I am putting it on my list of books to look for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute ideas! My 4 yr old would love to name the animals! I will have to throw that in too do soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great animal sorting activity, and M's world is beautiful! The book sounds interesting, too, we'll have to see if our library has it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cute that he wanted to sort the animals even further. I also remember being confused by ostriches, penguins and chickens. Odd birds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nicole

    What a fantastic sorting activity. Savvy would really enjoy doing this. M is so clever to want to further sort the animals into desert and jungle.

    The collage is very colorful and fun. M's face on the sun is so sweet. The apple tree with a cat made me chuckle.

    I really like the sound of the book, Our Nest. I am off to go and order it now. Thanks for sharing this find.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment; I love reading them! If you ask a question and don't receive a personal reply, check back here for the answer. Often I reply via comment to something that might be of interest to others.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...