Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Little Red Mailbox

 blog pics 002

Have you seen the adorable little mailboxes at Target’s Dollar Spot??  Well, our Target had them (out with Valentine’s Day items, the Monday before Christmas) and M insisted that he needed one very badly.  Now, I normally don’t just give in to him on every little thing, but they were awfully cute, and I thought he could play mailman with it. 

So, it’s turned into this very endearing routine between M and Daddy.  It’s sooooo adorable.  M asks for “mail” every evening and Daddy says, “Well… we’ll see…”, then later writes him a little note, which we slip into the mailbox when we check on the darling-sleeping-sweetness later on.  Sometimes there’s even a Curious George ring or some such trinket included. 

Now,  I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before, but Daddy is up at 5am every morning and M doesn’t see him before he leaves for work. 

So, lately, every morning I hear a little thud, pitter patter over to the dresser, then a sweet voice (well, sweet, depending on what the clock says) exclaiming  “The mail came!”  (He knows if the flag is up, there’s mail!)  Then a clink, clank, clunk as he opens the mailbox… then more pitter-pattering out the door and into my room for me to read him his note.  It’s so much fun and such a nice way to keep the two of them connected first thing in the morning.  mailbox

Sometimes M will stick a painting or a note of his own in the mailbox and put it on Daddy’s side of our bed for Daddy to discover when he comes home.  This is always very exciting as you can imagine. ;) 

The notes M writes always go something like this… “Dear Daddy, love Matthew.  Mommy and Daddy and Matthew.”  Goodness, I sure do love my boys!!  :)

Have a beautiful day! :)

16 comments:

  1. oh my! that is just precious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so very sweet - you have wonderful and loving men in your family! We got the same mailbox too, but we didn't introduce it yet. This sounds like a great way to play with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I just love this!! How absolutely precious and what a great bonding activity for Daddy and M. (Though I have to admit, I wouldn't be thrilled with the early am letter reading) lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So incredibly sweet! I wonder if they still have those mailboxes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that mailbox - what a wonderful and fun idea. Preschoolers just love to get mail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is SO super cute! I haven't seen those here in Austin. I'd love to get a couple so Jeff and I could have a mailbox too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the sweetest thing ever! I was just at Target and didn't see them. Wah...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh! I was planning to make my son one but if this one is only a dollar... I hope our Target has them- they haven't so far!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I hope they still have some when I get to the States January 22nd! Bear would love one of these. She's always writing me letters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cute! My daughter has an old toy mailbox that she has outside her bedroom door. She'll leave us notes on our pillows and then waits for us to write back - with the letter in the mailbox, of course. It's been so much fun and I love looking through the pile of pictures and notes she's made! I hope he loves this game for a long time - you'll get some fabulous memories out of it :)

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  11. How sweet!! You know, I picked one of these up last year but it never got used. I came across it a few weeks ago and was STILL wondering what to do with it. What a sweet little system you've got going. Maddie would LOVE something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw man, now I really miss Target! You have 2 great guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is the sweetest story!! I purchased one of those mailboxes at this time last year because my son was/is really in to mail. But what a meaningful connection between your husband and your son. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very sweet! I'll have to see if our Target has those the next time I'm there...

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a bargain score! My son would adore one of those, and the interaction between your husband and son is precious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment; I love reading them! If you ask a question and don't receive a personal reply, check back here for the answer. Often I reply via comment to something that might be of interest to others.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...