Saturday, January 23, 2010

Book of the Week – Jan. 23, 2010



Hands down, the favorite of this week has been Jan Brett’s The Three Snow Bears.
imageThis is a take on Goldilocks and the Three Bears, a fairytale which M has never heard.  I have read several versions of Goldilocks, so I can’t remember if the bears are friendly in the original story or not-so-friendly.  But in this one the three snow bears are nice, good bears who spend their morning saving a pack of sled dogs who are floating out on a large piece of ice (ice floe?); yet, they are not exactly welcoming of the little girl they find has been in their home while they were gone.  It’s a good combination of knowing they are good… yet knowing they are still bears!  It’s a fun story to read and M has asked for it daily.
For more children’s book recommendations, visit Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns! 
Have a beautiful day! :) 

4 comments:

  1. The Jan Brett books are soothing, and well done. When my son was in first-grade, they did a Jan Brett book study, which he loved. He also performed "The Mitten" in nursery school. We own several of Brett's books, but not the one you mention. I may check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining! We only had one "hit" on Jan Brett books so far - Gingerbread Baby. We read her version of original Goldilocks, and Anna was very lukewarm about it. I was looking for Three Snow Bears in the library last week to go with our polar theme, but, unfortunately, they were out. I am glad to know that the story has its own twists and might appeal to Anna better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to know this is a good one. Some of the Jan Brett books get lukewarm reviews, because children think they are frightening. We love the Gingerbread Baby though, so we'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got this book sitting on my desk begging to be read. I keep putting it off for a snow/polar/cold unit, but said unit has never materialized. I think we may just pull it out tonight to read for fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment; I love reading them! If you ask a question and don't receive a personal reply, check back here for the answer. Often I reply via comment to something that might be of interest to others.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...