Monday, October 12, 2009

Stamping Game for Counting and Pre-reading Skills

Have you seen the oh-so-cute pencil-top stampers in the dollar spot at Target lately?!?  We love stamps so I grabbed some of the monster kind.  We call them “sillies” here, because M is not at all comfortable with the idea of monsters.  ;)

I made a quick and simple game with these to go on our activity shelves.  All you need is a couple of stamps (or you could use buttons or some other manipulative as markers), a number die (we made ours from this template), and a simple grid with 20 spaces.
{I created a grid game a while back to go with a Bible story lesson, and the large grid for that game can be printed from here.  I also made a smaller grid – 2 to a page – and that can be printed from here, then cut.  You could simply draw some on some scratch paper also.}
grid gameTo play, take turns rolling the die, then stamping that number of squares on your grid.  The first to fill their grid is the winner.  Fill your grid going from left to right, and top to bottom.  This helps develop the habit needed for eventual reading. 

M is having a lot of fun playing this – it’s such a simple way to make counting fun and he has no idea he’s learning pre-reading skills too.

This morning while I was lying in bed being lazy, I heard M begging Daddy to play this game with him.  So cute!  And, again, a quick lesson for me that the things which are simple and quick for me to put together are always more popular with him than the things I spend hours on.  Kids! :)

Here’s a shot of the used grids from yesterday afternoon.  I’m not kidding – M loves this game! blog pics 004
Have a beautiful day! :)

P.S. Happy Birthday, Honey!!  I love you! (my hubs :) )

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these grids! We've been playing with candy corn but we have these stamps so it might be nice to take a break from sugar. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have some of those stampers and I never thought of doing this. Thanks for a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! We have several packs of those stampers and this would be a fabulous use for them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like fun! I will have to try something like it with Selena. Great math idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea because it's a game my kids could play together! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I like to play grid games with my kids and I think stamps would provide a great variation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That reminds me of how I used to play "Race to 100" when I was teaching and we'd use 100 blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea! It would work well in my Pre-K classroom. Thanks for visiting my blog (prekinders). :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nicole

    This is a great idea which I think my little girl who is also crazy about stamps would love to play. You've made it so very easy for us to whip this up in no time, as you've provided great links. Thank you so much for sharing your fun idea and the links as well. I will making up some grids tonight and linking back to you when I blog about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is something that I think Anna will enjoy as well. We have those stamps too, but we are keeping them for party favors for Anna's birthday party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are going to use this grid this week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooooooooooooh!! I love it! Can't wait to try this--

    thank you, thank you, thank you! I always forget about stamps!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment; I love reading them! If you ask a question and don't receive a personal reply, check back here for the answer. Often I reply via comment to something that might be of interest to others.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...