Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Button Board

I just made this:blog pics 056 Isn’t it fun?!  This will be a shelf activity for M this week, but I like how it turned out so much that I’m sharing it early.  I think it will also make a great car trip activity!

I first saw the idea for a button board at Chasing Cheerios (I can’t find the exact link), and have been meaning to make one ever since.  I had a lot of ideas to make it more boyish (hers was flowers) and thought of wheels for cars and trucks.  However, I finally decided to make it easy on myself and just made shapes. 

It will be great for learning this practical life skill and will give those fine motor skills a good workout!

It took me about an hour total to put it together.  Should’ve taken pictures, but I didn’t…. anyway, here’s what I did:

  • Cut a piece of corrugated cardboard to desired size and shape.
  • Choose fabric from stash to cover board.
  • Decide where you want to put buttons, and mark spots with an “X”.
  • Sew buttons on.  This is the not-so-fun part, especially if you choose to have 15 buttons.
  • Put thin layer of glue over the cardboard and smooth fabric with buttons out on top, centered with extra to overlap onto the back.  I used decoupage glue, you could use regular white glue thinned with water, or spray adhesive.
  • flip the board over and wrap edges around to the back.  Secure with duct tape or more glue, or both.
  • Cut several shapes of all colors and sizes from felt.
  • Cut button hole slits in each shape in the center. Felt is so great for projects like this because there is no sewing involved!
  • Button your shapes onto your board! 

You could make this with more room between the buttons, and then outline the shapes on the fabric around the buttons.  Your child could then match the felt shapes to the shape outlines. 

I like it this way, even though it is a little busy looking.  M can rearrange the shapes however he wants, and come up with a new design each time.  It’s great for a shape and color review tool too!

Have a beautiful day! :)

18 comments:

  1. I love this! I am such a felt addict. A little advanced for my little one but I am def putting this is my to-do-one-day folder! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute idea! Our great-grandma makes a quiet book that includes this activity, She cuts the felt into flowers. I bet M will enjoy your board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so much fun! What a great way to strengthen those little fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! I made a pillow once that had button holes to put the letters of B's name on. He's not really interested in the pillow so maybe I'll use those on something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great!!! My little would love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I did something similar last Spring...but, your looks way much more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a GREAT idea!! BUTTONS!!!! Are you planning on linking it up for the Kiddos Create Challenge?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome board! M is so lucky to have a mommy like you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. M is going to love this vibrant looking board. It looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow this is great.. i want to make it but im so intimidated.. it looks difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just saw this linked from the Activity Mom. I don't think I knew about your blog when you originally posted it. We will DEFINITELY make this soon! I love it! My son is currently obsessed with my container of buttons in my sewing room. I also just got 4 yards of felt for Christmas to make projects with him, and he's been loving the felt scenes I've made for him this week. And I think he'd like the skill of learning to button. Win, win, win! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! Thanks for posting! I have lots of buttons - so what a great use!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the idea. I made this today for my daughter and helped her 'tuck' in all the buttons.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you! I made my version today and my youngest just LOVE it.
    http://21.appelklyftig.com/#post96

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh, I will have to put this on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the idea! It's SO perfect for teaching how to button! We do a preschool co-op, & I was trying to figure out what I can use with the kids to learn buttoning. Super cute, thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment; I love reading them! If you ask a question and don't receive a personal reply, check back here for the answer. Often I reply via comment to something that might be of interest to others.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...