Monday, September 7, 2009

Books of the Week

I’m excited about the linky for weekly book reviews at Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.  We LOVE books at this house!
I’m pretty sure this will turn out to be a review of library books we check out, since that is what we read most often.  Once in a while, however,  we might add in a book that M owns, because he has a lot of good ones that we tend to forget about!
This week, my favorite was The Listening Walk, by Paul Showers, illustrated by Aliki.  (Just because I’m not listing this as M’s favorite, don’t get the wrong idea – he loves it too!!)  The little girl in this book takes walks with her dad along the street, where there are many noises, and in the park, where there are fewer noises.  The book is absolutely fantastic at imitating the sounds – everything from crickets chirping to wheels screeching.  The book ends with an invitation to sit quietly and see what sounds you hear.  We play this “game” quite often, even before we found this book, and M loves it.  It is very relaxing.  And if you have an energetic little boy like M, you need some relaxing activities!  I highly recommend this book!

M’s favorite book this week has been The Rattletrap Car by Phyllis Root, illustrated by Jill Barton.  The story is about a small family (3 kids and their dad) on a hot, hot summer day.  They want to go to the beach and play in the cool water, but it’s questionable whether their old car is up to the task.  Parts fall off, which M loves since he loves all things destructive, and the characters get creative in replacing them (beach ball for a tire, for example).  It’s pretty funny and a lot of fun to read.  The words have a great rhythm and the sounds the car makes are fun to read and hear. 
Go here to check out what books other kids are reading!
Have a beautiful day! :)

3 comments:

  1. These books sound very interesting. I will have to look for them at our library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking to me! I am very intrigued by both books - I have never heard of either of them. I have a hunch that Anna will like the first one - I'll make sure to look for it in our library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I tell you this is one of my favorite books in the whole wide world. I tape record little sounds and have the kids try and guess what they are. Then we go on a listening walk too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment; I love reading them! If you ask a question and don't receive a personal reply, check back here for the answer. Often I reply via comment to something that might be of interest to others.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...