Thursday, September 24, 2009

Books of the Week {#4} – More of Autumn

More books about autumn this week!

First – Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf by Lois Ehlert. Red Leaf, Yellow LeafIn my opinion, pretty much any book by Lois Ehlert is a winner. :) This one is no exception. The book describes the leaves and seeds of a maple tree, as well as what the tree looks like in each season, and describes how seedling trees are gathered, brought to nurseries and sold so people can plant a tree of their own at home. The pictures are lovely works of art, textural collages using fabric, ribbon, and a variety of other materials. We have a sugar maple tree in our front yard, so I was super excited about this book! I’ve read it once with M, and he was interested, but some of the information may have been a little over his head.
Next – Up, Up, Up! It’s Apple-picking Time, by Jody Fickes Shapiro.Up, Up, Up! It's Apple-picking TimeThis is a sweet, warm story about a family who goes apple picking together. It describes the sounds and scents of the orchard and the feel of partaking in a family ritual. We are lucky to have our own apple orchard (it feels bizarre to even type that) on my husband’s family farm, and I want M to have all the wonderful experiences the boy in this book has. This is a very feel-good cozy book and I love it. I haven’t read it to M yet… I’m waiting for our apples to be ready for picking sometime in October before we start too many apple activities. I’m sure he will love it.
Lastly – The Apple Pie Tree, by Zoe Hall. The Apple Pie TreeZoe Hall’s books are all highly recommended! I had never read this one before, but I really like it. Two young girls have an apple tree in their yard and they watch it through all the seasons, until time for apple picking and making pies. It’s a great story and a very cute part is the family of robins that live in the tree, going through their own stages of growth as the tree goes through the seasons. I think this book does a great job of describing the life-cycle of apples and I will be using this with our apple life-cycle cards.
I hope you are all enjoying some good books with your little ones! Go here for more reviews.
Have a beautiful day! :)


  1. I agree with you about Lois Ehlert. I haven't read the other two books but we will look for them. Thanks!

  2. Great books suggestions. M is so very lucky to be able to visit his family's apple farm. I hope it's not far away from you, so he can truly experience all the seasons of apple trees. The apple picking books sound lovely - I am just wondering if Anna is getting sick and tired of reading about leaves, pumpkins and apples :) On the other hand, she still picked apples and pumpkins from a pile of library books I brought home yesterday. LOL. I am putting Zoe Hall book on my list and thanks for introducing me to this author.

  3. My son is very much into apples right now. Thank you for the suggestions, I am adding them to our list for next week, I hope our library has them!

  4. These sound like great books. My list keeps growing, Selena will be a busy reader ths winter!

  5. What great books you have listed here! And they are perfect for getting into the spirit of Fall. I love this time of year!

  6. You got a bunch of the books I wanted to get a couple of weeks ago that were all checked out.


Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment; I love reading them! If you ask a question and don't receive a personal reply, check back here for the answer. Often I reply via comment to something that might be of interest to others.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...