Thursday, September 24, 2009

Books of the Week {#4} – More of Autumn


More books about autumn this week!

First – Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf by Lois Ehlert. Red Leaf, Yellow LeafIn my opinion, pretty much any book by Lois Ehlert is a winner. :) This one is no exception. The book describes the leaves and seeds of a maple tree, as well as what the tree looks like in each season, and describes how seedling trees are gathered, brought to nurseries and sold so people can plant a tree of their own at home. The pictures are lovely works of art, textural collages using fabric, ribbon, and a variety of other materials. We have a sugar maple tree in our front yard, so I was super excited about this book! I’ve read it once with M, and he was interested, but some of the information may have been a little over his head.
Next – Up, Up, Up! It’s Apple-picking Time, by Jody Fickes Shapiro.Up, Up, Up! It's Apple-picking TimeThis is a sweet, warm story about a family who goes apple picking together. It describes the sounds and scents of the orchard and the feel of partaking in a family ritual. We are lucky to have our own apple orchard (it feels bizarre to even type that) on my husband’s family farm, and I want M to have all the wonderful experiences the boy in this book has. This is a very feel-good cozy book and I love it. I haven’t read it to M yet… I’m waiting for our apples to be ready for picking sometime in October before we start too many apple activities. I’m sure he will love it.
Lastly – The Apple Pie Tree, by Zoe Hall. The Apple Pie TreeZoe Hall’s books are all highly recommended! I had never read this one before, but I really like it. Two young girls have an apple tree in their yard and they watch it through all the seasons, until time for apple picking and making pies. It’s a great story and a very cute part is the family of robins that live in the tree, going through their own stages of growth as the tree goes through the seasons. I think this book does a great job of describing the life-cycle of apples and I will be using this with our apple life-cycle cards.
I hope you are all enjoying some good books with your little ones! Go here for more reviews.
Have a beautiful day! :)

7 comments:

  1. I agree with you about Lois Ehlert. I haven't read the other two books but we will look for them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great books suggestions. M is so very lucky to be able to visit his family's apple farm. I hope it's not far away from you, so he can truly experience all the seasons of apple trees. The apple picking books sound lovely - I am just wondering if Anna is getting sick and tired of reading about leaves, pumpkins and apples :) On the other hand, she still picked apples and pumpkins from a pile of library books I brought home yesterday. LOL. I am putting Zoe Hall book on my list and thanks for introducing me to this author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son is very much into apples right now. Thank you for the suggestions, I am adding them to our list for next week, I hope our library has them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound like great books. My list keeps growing, Selena will be a busy reader ths winter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great books you have listed here! And they are perfect for getting into the spirit of Fall. I love this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got a bunch of the books I wanted to get a couple of weeks ago that were all checked out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment; I love reading them! If you ask a question and don't receive a personal reply, check back here for the answer. Often I reply via comment to something that might be of interest to others.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...