Thursday, September 17, 2009

Books of the Week {#3} – Autumn

I’ve been preparing an Autumn theme of learning activities recently, and so I thought I’d share three of the books we are going to read to get us started!
1. Mouse’s First Fall by Lauren Thompson, Illustrated by Buket Erdogan:
Mouse's First Fall
We love all of Lauren Thompson’s books and this one is no exception. I believe there is a “Mouse” book for every season, and I plan to check the others out too at some point. In this book, Mouse discovers all the beautiful colors of leaves, their textures and shapes. He has fun running, skipping and kicking his way through them, piles them up and then… well you can guess what happens with a happy little mouse and a big pile of leaves. :) It’s the same thing that happens with a happy small child and a big pile of leaves. ;) This is just a really delightful book to read and I am so glad we found it.
2. Fall Leaves Fall! by Zoe Hall, Illustrated by Shari Halpern:Fall Leaves Fall
This is written in the voice of two children who watch autumn arrive as the leaves begin to change colors. They talk about all the beautiful colors, the shapes and sizes of the leaves, try to catch them, stomp and crunch them, and watch them fly through the air. They collect some leaves (an idea I love) and examine them. They rake them into a pile and jump in. This book has great illustrations of leaves, which are labeled with the type of tree they came from. We will be learning about just this thing and this book will be a great addition to our leaf identification project. This book also has a cute idea for making pictures with the leaves. You have to check this one out – it’s definitely a favorite!
3. It’s Pumpkin Time! by Zoe Hall, Illustrated by Shari Halpern:It's Pumpkin Time!
This is essentially a Halloween book – the favorite holiday of the two characters - and it has a great lesson about the life-cycle of pumpkins. The children plant the seeds, water them, watch them grow into vines with flowers, and then green pumpkins which slowly turn to orange and are ready to be picked, carved, and have more seeds inside to plant next year! Halloween is mentioned, but thankfully, nothing scary or spooky is in this book. We try to stay away from that kind of thing because I have no desire to be up at all hours of the night with a little boy whose imagination is working over time… but I digress; the book is great and I plan to use it along with some pumpkin life-cycle cards. And if you have a small child who isn’t sure what Halloween is exactly, this is a good introduction – it talks about costumes and trick-or-treating and is a fun book to read!
Go to the MckLinky at Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns to see what other kids are reading!
Have a beautiful day! :)

4 comments:

  1. I love the Mouse's First books. I have the Christmas and Valentine's from when I was teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Zoe Hall book on Susana's blog (Our Homeschool Fun) as well. We didn't read any of your picks, and I will for sure check them out. Thanks for great recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your selection of books for Fall. Nothing better then to read about the all the changes taking place in your world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely going to check out Fall Leaves Fall. It sounds like a great choice for the season! Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment; I love reading them! If you ask a question and don't receive a personal reply, check back here for the answer. Often I reply via comment to something that might be of interest to others.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...